The best thing about it is it’s a way for you and an angling buddy to hit the water together, meaning you get to share stories, high-five each other and take turns spelling each other on the oars. And you get to witness each other’s prowess, or lack thereof, with the rod.
While the craft isn’t large – you’re sitting about as close as you would on a toboggan – it offers plenty of room for two, complete with cooler and storage room for a drybag or two. It measures 18” x 13’ and is made with heavy duty, fishhook-tough 30-oz. PVC.
Another bonus: the 65-lb. craft (with a carrying capacity of more than 600 lbs.) is easy to carry and goes from car trunk to the water in less than five minutes, thanks largely to its frameless technology. Yep, no metal parts at all in the sub-structure. Just inflate it and go. The company debuted the technology on its one-person Voyager 1 craft, and it works just as well on the double model.
“It’s truly one of the most revolutionary products on the market,” says company president Chris Timmerman, whose office sits a cast away from the Yampa River. “And it’s perfect for river running tight little streams.”
As for handling, it’s nimble as a waterbug, letting you skip hither and yonder to scout out different holes and banks. While the oars feel a bit diminutive and almost cartoonish at times, they work well and a couple of strokes put you right where you need to be. If you come to it with any sort of paddling background, it’s a no-brainer to control.
And when it comes to landing fish, it truly shines. Your buddy behind you positions you wherever you need to be and then you can land your quarry right between you legs.
Additional features include inflatable seats; two-piece oars with fold down oarlocks; an adjustable foot bar; four large, insulated side gear bags with rod and drink holders; stripping apron; D-rings to secure gear; carry handles; rear cargo/storage area; double action pump; and carry/storage bag. MSRP is $1,199.99.
Our take? It’s the perfect tandem fishing craft for low-volume rivers and creeks (it only draws a few inches), where river running and angling go hand-in-hand.
• 18” x 13’ hull made with super heavy duty, 30 oz. PVC
• 3 separate, 30-gauge PVC main bladders fitted with Pro Series push-button valves
• 3 additional 30-gauge PVC bladders fitted with Pro Series push-button valves
• Unique front seat/air-pod allows for a raised or lowered front fishing station
• Fully adjustable, padded seats
• 4 insulated, side storage bags with integral rod holders
• 24 D-rings to secure gear
• Adjustable foot bars
• 6.5-foot, two-piece heavy duty oars
• Stainless steel oarlock pins
• Double-action hand pump with adaptor set
• Carry/storage bag with large side zipper and compression straps
• Overall weight: 65 lbs.
• Weight capacity: 600 lbs.